TreesCharlotte is once again partnering with Kiwanis for their second annual Under the Canopy Chili Cookoff. TreesCharlotte will host a small scale TreeStore to give away 50 Oak trees to Charlotte residents on a first come first served basis.
A $10 donation given at the event gets you into this charity event, where teams from throughout the city compete to become the chili champion. A portion of the proceeds will benefit TreesCharlotte educational programming in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Purchase tickets here.
Intereted in sponsoring the cookoff or entering a team? Contact Terri Shidal,
- Each Charlotte household is eligible for up to two free trees. Limit 2 trees per address.
- TreesCharlotte’s mission is to help the City of Charlotte reach their goal of 50% tree canopy by 2050. We therefore limit our efforts to expand the canopy within Charlotte’s city limits and limit participation to Charlotte residents only (unfortunately, we do not serve Matthews, Mint Hill, Pineville, Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, other municipalities outside Charlotte, or Mecklenburg County).
- Proof of Charlotte residency (such as a driver’s license, utility bill, etc.) must be shown at the event in order to participate.
- You will complete and sign a Stewardship Pledge Form (mandatory) and declare your pledge to take care of the tree(s) we provide.
- At the TreeStore, you will be taught how to properly plant and care for your tree(s). Tree education is mandatory for everyone.
- We cannot guarantee species type or quantities and will not know which species of Oak will be available until the morning of the event.
- Trees are in 7-gallon containers, range from 6-10′ tall, and will not be reserved or transported.
We are looking for a few seasoned TreeMasters that are comfortable taking a more active role in organizing, setting up and running this small TreeStore event.