Ready to get Tree Smart in 2019? A great way to start is by attending our 7th annual Big Tree Summit on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019 at CPCC’s Harris Conference Center. Sponsored by Bartlett Tree Experts, this free event will share the state of our urban forest, offer tree care classes and feature a keynote address from the president of the Arbor Day Foundation. Once again, WCNC Meteorologist Brad Panovich will emcee!
Afternoon sessions (4:30-6 p.m.)
- The State of Charlotte’s Canopy: A look at what’s new and changing in Charlotte’s urban forest.
- Tree Care 101: Name that Tree: How well do you know your urban forest? City assistant arborist Laurie Dukes gives you tips on how to identify some of the most common trees in the Queen City – and a few of our more unusual ones, too.
- Tree Care 101: Tree Medic: Keep your trees thriving with these five must-do tree care tips. The arborists at Bartlett Tree Experts give a quick primer on the most common tree problems and how to treat them – and then answer your tree questions.
Cocktail hour (6-6:45 p.m.)
Enjoy hors d’oeuvres and cocktails in the Harris Conference Center atrium, connect with other tree enthusiasts, get your picture taken in front of exotic tree canopies from around the world and learn more about our tree canopy by visiting tables hosted by Bartlett, TreesCharlotte, Treecycle America, Plan-It Geo and CPCC’s Tree Campus USA Committee.
Evening program (7-8:30 p.m.)
- Crown Tree Awards: Mayor Vi Lyles announces Charlotte’s Tree of the Year, as well as several other tree awards.
- Dan Lambe, president of the Arbor Day Foundation: Dan works with tree organizations throughout the country and shares some of the most inspiring stories of regular citizens doing amazing work.
What: 7th Annual Big Tree Summit
Where: Central Piedmont Community College’s Harris Campus, 3210 CPCC Harris Campus Drive.
When: Tuesday, Feb. 5. Doors open at 4 p.m. Evening session ends at 8:30 p.m.
Cost: Free (but we ask that you please register in advance using form below)