Save Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, for our 7th annual Big Tree Summit, sponsored by Bartlett Tree Experts. We’ll once again be at the CPCC Harris Conference Center for an exciting day all about Charlotte’s urban forest.
Afternoon Sessions (4:30-6 p.m.)
- A Deep Dive into Charlotte’s New Canopy Assessment: City Arborist Tim Porter walks through the city’s latest tree canopy assessment, comparing its findings to those in 2012, highlighting those parts of the city that saw notable changes and discussing what’s next.
- Tree Care 101: Name that Tree: How well do you know your urban forest? City assistant arborist Laurie Dukes gives you tips on how to identify some of the most common trees in the Queen City – and a few of our more unusual ones, too.
- Tree Care 101: Tree Medic: Keep your trees thriving with these five must-do tree care tips. The arborists at Bartlett Tree Experts give a quick primer on the most common tree problems and how to treat them – and then answer your tree questions.
Cocktail hour (6-6:45 p.m.)
Enjoy hors d’oeuvres and cocktails in the Harris Conference Center atrium, connect with other tree enthusiasts, get your picture taken in front of exotic tree canopies from around the world and learn more about our tree canopy by visiting tables hosted by Bartlett, TreesCharlotte, Treecycle America, Plan-It Geo and CPCC’s Tree Campus USA Committee.
Evening program (7-8:30 p.m.)
- Crown Tree Awards: Mayor Vi Lyles announces Charlotte’s Tree of the Year, as well as several other tree awards.
- Dan Lambe, president of the Arbor Day Foundation: Dan works with tree organizations throughout the country and shares some of the most inspiring stories of regular citizens doing amazing work.
Registration will open Jan. 1. Watch TreesCharlotte.org and our social media channels for updates.