We are seeking an energetic, mission-driven, social and environmental impact oriented professional as a Development Manager in the Charlotte Metro area. This is a fit for someone with experience and/or interest in nonprofits, fundraising, and the environmental impact of trees in our community. The Development Manager will have a creative mind, a passion for mission-driven storytelling, and a knack for achieving results.
The right candidate will have experience and expertise in the field of nonprofit fundraising, emphasizing major and planned giving. The candidate should be passionate about the environment, have strong communication skills, and be an engaging collaborator. This individual will report directly to and work with the Executive Director to implement and execute an annual plan.
Design development strategy for TreesCharlotte:
- Work with the Executive Director, staff and board members to identify funds needed, preferred funding targets, and approaches.
- Research, and identify corporations, foundations, individual donors, and other philanthropic organizations as prospective funding sources.
- Design a work plan, including a grants calendar and annual appeal process, for securing funds to ensure fundraising goals are met, including development of a tracking system for the status of all current, pending, and potential funding sources with attention to meeting all internal and external deadlines.
Manage development strategy and fundraising:
- Develop, edit, package, and submit proposals, budgets and supporting materials for funders and donors.
- Prepare reports or presentations as needed that may be required to fulfill requests of funding use, program needs or reporting requirements.
- Raise funds by stewarding, cultivating, and engaging individual donors.
Communication and Events:
- Develop a signature event that drives new engagement and diversifies revenue streams.
- Contribute to organizational storytelling, curating connections with regional media and influencers.
- Contribute to positive organizational culture through intentional and identifiable actions.
- Work effectively within budget and help manage the resources and expenses within the department.
- Support programs and staff as needed.
- Development/Fundraising: Proven success in development for a large nonprofit. Experience running capital campaigns and success fundraising from multiple donor channels
- Project Leadership: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones
- Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences
- Influencing: Gets others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments, creates a win-win situation and responds appropriately to key stakeholders
- Collaboration: Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
- Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to public relations; business; events; or nonprofit management
- Professional experience of three years or more in any of the following areas is desirable: fundraising; donor development; sales; grant writing; project management; volunteer engagement
- Donor Database management experience (ideally Salsa) preferred
- Graphic design skills are an advantage.
- Salary commiserate with experience and Charlotte market; performance-based bonus opportunity
- Full-time position, some Saturdays during planting season
- 50% medical insurance, 100% vision and dental
- 2% Simple IRA company contribution
- Competitive PTO schedule with days awarded, not accrued
- 12 additional paid office holidays
- Reduced hours summer schedule
- Respect for work-life balance, including consideration of flexible schedules
- Opportunity to build a legacy through strengthening Charlotte’s iconic urban forest
Interested candidates should send an email and resume to Jane Myers, Executive Director, Jane@treescharlotte.org. Please include your last name and “TreesCharlotte Development” in the subject.
TreesCharlotte does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices, or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis